Wednesday, January 21, 2009

ALL DECLO ELEMENTARY Moms! Are the kids really Safe???



DISCLAIMER: I have numerous friends and family that work at this school and I know WITHOUT a doubt that they are amazing people who DO care about our children like they are their own. This is not intended to be a reflection on them or the work ethic. I do think that this is a good school and I am happy that we have it in our community, I just think that some changes need to be made....




Most likely none of you know that on Monday the 19th of January there was a gas leak at Declo Elementary. I am still in the process of getting all the details, but here is what I know to date:

The gas leak was in the north building. That building was eventually evacuated and the kids were taken to the gym to watch a movie for 2 hours. The other children in the main building stayed in their classes as if nothing was wrong. Because I do not know all the details (I am still waiting to hear back from Intermountain Gas) my main concern is what is the protocol for this kind of situation? As far as I have been told there is not one. So, too my knowledge when there is a gas leak (that I do know was smelled throughout the entire building and gave people headaches) if there is one little spark there can be an explosion. Now, if there is a gas line (which I am guessing there is) running from building to building, wouldn't they both go up in flames if there was an explosion??? So, would my little Tinley have died that day? OK, I know I am being dramatic, but seriously when my 2 girls step out of my front door and get on the Cassia County School District bus they are in the care of our school district with their employees acting as their caregiver. I spoke to the school about this the next day and felt as though they side stepped the situation. I was told that the situation was under control and it was a small leak. Is any gas leak a small leak? How much gas does it take to cause an explosion? When talking with someone who works at the school I was told that their gut instinct was to get ALL the children out and them to the Junior High if not to the High School. So, this tells me that the situation was initially perceived as dangerous and why not error on the side of caution and make sure that all our children are safe?

I have another example of our children not being taken care of if you would like to keep on reading, here it is....

On December 2, 2008, there was high wind advisory for the Magic Valley around 11:00. The children were sent to lunch with just a jacket instead of their coats because there was announcement that students wouldn’t be allowed outside for recess. Since there are no coat hangers or places for the coats, the students left their coats in the classroom.


The aide on duty, and was in charge of the students. The students apparently got out of control and she sent them outside because they were being too loud. The kids all had to go outside. Some kids specifically asked the aide if they could get their coat, and were denied. The aide changed the principal’s and teacher’s plans for the students to be in the gym, and consequently put the children in danger.

The temperature that day was 28 degrees with winds between 27- 31 mph according to the National Weather Service which can feel like -5 below. If the weather was bad enough that Mrs. Hunsaker cancelled recess…..isn’t it too cold for students to be outside with or without appropriate clothing? The students were told to go outside as a way to punish them and teach them a lesson for being so loud in the gym. Not all students were being bad, but all students were being punished and this is not a way to disciple anyway.

We don’t punish criminals or inmates by sending them outside without coats on during a high wind advisory with low temperatures, so why on earth would we do that to our students? Recess is the appropriate time for students to get their wiggles out.

It has been said that the maximum time that the students were outside was 4 minutes. Now, don’t you think that if it was really 4 minutes that you would have just listened to them for that amount of time? Why would you send students out in those conditions?

It was confirmed by some students that they were sent out after the third graders left, which was much longer than 4 minutes.

The school was questioned about this and they said that the students could huddle up in the vestibules or against the wall of the building. I am curious how many students possibly fit in there?

In the Cassia Co. Mission Statement is reads that all students and personnel are entitled to a safe and comfortable environment. When this was read to the school they had nothing to say. We need to refuse to have our children treated like cattle. If we were to leave our children outside in those conditions at our homes and a neighbor drove by, we would be reported to Health & Welfare Child Services. If we don’t stand up for our children, no one will.

I have talked to MANY mothers that have expressed numerous concerns about our school and our children's safety, but so far I have seen little action. If we don't, as parents, do something about this it will continue to happen. We need to unite together to make some changes for the welfare of our children!!! Whose with me????? I would love some feedback, good or bad on what you think. Don't feel uncomfortable to leave me a comment even if I don't know you...I will admit there have been many blogs I have stalked when I don't know the person well....isn't that what blogs are for?

10 comments:

Mindy said...

I am with you Carie! I have spoke to Mrs. Hunsaker and she doesn't act too interested in anything I have to say. My daughter was at the school the day they were sent outside. She was told no -- on getting her coat. I talked to one other mother and she said she wasn't calling Mrs. Hunsaker about it because she had already been in her office numerous occasions, and it doesn't get her anywhere. So, I agree that some mothers are tired of it. But what to do? I have talked to Mr. Smyer, but I don't know if it did any good. I haven't been up to the school since then.
If Hallie & McKade were at school the day of the gas leak, I would rather have gotten a phone call for me to come get them. Then, it would be my decision, not the schools on whether the situation was safe for my child.
I know that Mrs. Osterhout's room was without heat for atleast 2 days this winter. Kids had to wear their coats during class and their hands were cold.
I think it is ridiculous.
Huddling up in the vestibules? Have you seen Mrs. Hunsaker or any other staff doing that to keep warm? I think NOT!!

Ashley Wray said...

Carie, I would be ticked! I'm so sorry and I think you have every right to demand some anwsers!
Maybe you better transfer your kids to Burley, I do know for a fact that there is an excellent jr high geography teacher there :)
Hope you get this all sorted out, good luck!

MegiJones said...

Carie- Like Ashley, if my kid was attending Declo Elem, I would join with you and be so upset by all of this!! That is crazy! I hope you get some satisfaction from the school about this...and some promises that it won't happen again. Threatening to remove your child from the school usually has a great impact cuz they want the money your kid brings in. Sorry you have to deal with it.

Angie said...

Carrie, I am like fuming mad right now!!!! I did NOT know about this and it makes me want to pull her out now and send her to a different school! I would call you right now but it's a late! I have lots of questions! I'll talk to ya tomarrow! I'm with ya all the way! Lets get this figured out!

Rod said...

Carie - If you want to get their attention, tell Becky Hunsaker and Gaylen Smyer that you are going get the press involved. Either by writing a letter to the editor or by asking the newspaper if they would like a story. They absolutley hate negative publicity. Keep up the good work and give em HELL!!!

Jerolyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jerolyn said...

Oh Carrie I would SO be on this like stink on POO! UNEXCEPTABLE without a doubt. Gas leak=evacuate PERIOD. Small or large, like you said~error on the side of caution. That is just a no brainer.

The sending the kids outside w/ no coats is completely unacceptable too. If enough parents complain someone is bound to listen. I wouldn't care if I had to make a trip to the office every other day...I would!!!

Jaeson and Traci Repscher said...

Wow! It sounds like you have alot to be upset about and it also sounds like you aren't going to let this slide by, which is a good thing. I would also be upset. I think we are the only advocate for our children, so we have to stand up for them and their safety. When my kids go to school, I expect their safety to be the #1 top priorioty above all else. It also looks like you had a great Christmas holiday!

Adele said...

Holy Cow Carie! You have every right to be upset. I cannot believe this happened. I hope you can get some answers from the school as well as getting some things changed.. Good luck!

Melanie said...

Carie, you are right to be concerned. I hope that you get some answers and that your concern does not fall of deaf ears. As I they tend to just try to sweep things under the rug like it never happened.