Thursday, January 22, 2009

Appointment with Mr. Smyer

Ok Ladies! I contacted the gas company and they told me that I had to talk to the Superintendent because they could not release any info about the situation. So, I called the school district and spoke to a super nice woman at the front desk. She explained to me that a valve had come loose and the kids were removed (from just the one building) and the gas company was called. I asked them how long it took for the gas company to arrive and she was not able to give me that information (she did not know the answer). I wanted to know that because as far a gas goes (and I am no gas expert) when it is a leak, big or small, it is still leaking, right? So, gas is being released into the air and is spreading everywhere. Which can cause and even larger explosion. I wanted to find out from the gas company if there was a pipe going from building to building, but they wouldn't release that info either. So, I am just guessing at this point, but I think there probably is. So, they DID evacuate the one building almost immediately, but the other building was not because it was a SMALL leak, but there defiantly was a leak and it leaked and it leaked and it leaked.....if there are any gas experts out there please educate me on this. I asked them about the protocol and she could not tell me. I told her that this was beyond just our little school and that there needs to be a protocol for this kind of situation. (There could be and she did not know and I am in the process of finding out-if there is what is it and was it fully executed and if there isn't why not??). So, I have an appointment with Mr. Smyer (Superintendent) on Tuesday. I would like to walk in there educated and informed. FYI-I also brought up the whole cold-day-coat situation too. If you have any other concerns or things you want discussed please leave me a comment. I would also welcome anyone who would like to go with me!!! I am a little nervous and intimidated so I would be more than happy to have you come with me!!

5 comments:

Ben and Robbie and family said...

Carie- Sounds like you've got everyone fired up! I'm glad...I was unaware any of this had happened. Thank you for spreading the word and for being brave enough to address these issues. You've got my support. :)

Mindy said...

What time is your appointment? I will get the day off.
I want to talk to Mr. Smyer about the cold day business. I am still mad about that one.

Jerolyn said...

Carrie~ You have no reason to be nervous or intimidated. You are a parent with valid concerns, and as a parent you ARE entitled to answers~PERIOD. It seems to me the reason "no one can answer" you is because they know something or someone screwed up and they don't want many more parents to get in a hoot and a fluff over it. Which they WOULD and SHOULD!

Go in there and demand answers. Don't let anyone give you the run around either. The only "feelings" you should be concerned about are yours and your childrens. Their safety is all that matters here...gas and weather.

I can't wait to hear your follow up! LUV YA
you can dooooo iiiiitt!

Jerolyn said...

and another thing...if this aide can't get control of elemenraty students in the lunch room and sends them out in 20 something degree weather without coats "as punishment" maybe the position of the aide needs to be re~evaluated. Were there not alternatives to getting the kids settled down other than throwing them outside to freeze...like grabbing the Principal perhaps? Just a thought...

jeff and char said...

so i knew nothing of tis gas leak it would have probably blown up my house as well, way to stick up for us i wish i knew earlier that is a bunch of crap i am not looking forward to all thisschool stuff! let us know how it went thanks for taking a stand!